Thursday, October 7, 2010

Experiencing Literature and First Books Discussion with A New Website to Review

A Few Words from Angela

I wanted to mention how much I enjoyed all of the Individual Response Projects.  I think that by engaging children in these types of activities greatly enriches their overall involvement with the books and adds an added dimension to the reading experience.  On a personal note, did you enjoy preparing your own individual response projects?  Were there any activities from the 91 Ways to Respond to Literature that you especially liked and would like to try in your classrooms?

Based upon our discussion of first Books, I believe that each of you have an idea that there are many types of books available for children that not only serve an educational purpose, but are entertaining and visually appealing for even the youngest readers.  Keep in mind that introducing young children to books at an early age will be helpful toward increasing their desire to read as they grow older. 

Since I feel it is important to learn about all the different Internet resources available for the classroom, I have found another one that I thought might be of interest to you.  This website is called Sheppard's Software with many different games from pre-K through adult learners.  Please take some time to explore the website, play several of the games, and provide feedback regarding your thoughts about this site and if you feel it would have application in the classroom.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/

14 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed making my individual response project and seeing what everyone else in the class had to share.I will surely use this in my classroom!
    While exploring the website I really like the Nutrition for Kids part. I think nutrition and staying fit is very important and should be taught at a young age so I was pleased to see that. Once you click on the Nutrtion for Kids it has avaliable; food groups, exercising tips, and healthy eating games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this website. Since I'm specializing in science, I went a little crazy playing the science games. They make me wish I was a kid again so I could play fun games in school like this! I can't wait to use this in my own classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking which of the creative response projects I wanted to do was fun; there were so many great choices. I also enjoyed seeing the projects everyone else did, especially the chocolate cake : )

    This website was great. I liked that it actually had challenging games for kids in older grade levels. So many online sites have great games for younger kids, but not for kids studying harder subjects, I also, like the person who commented above, was happy to see the Nutrition for Kids part. Nutrition is important at such as young age, but students often don't learn about it until high school. I would use this site to teach my students about nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed doing the individual response projects. I think they would be very beneficial in the classroom because they give a different, fun way for children/readers to respond to the literature -- a way for them to think about books in different ways.

    I loved the new website. I liked that it had games for all age levels -- not just the wee little kids. I could have used the Chemistry games when I took Chem 115!! The Pre-K kids I work with would love the Paint & Make parts of this website -- they always play a painting game on the computer in their classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed doing the individual response projects. I thought the list allowed students to definitely find a project that would best suit what they read and something they would have fun doing. I really enjoyed making them and I know if I enjoyed it my students would definitely enjoy making them.

    I loved this website!!!! It was great that it had games for all ages, even subjects for high school and college. It is important to make learning fun so that kids will want to continue to learn and have fun while doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this sheppard software. I have used it previously to help me study for map tests for my geology class. The website is great for students of all ages. It helps students study and review in a fun way by playing games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the website. It had a wide variety of subjects for all grade levels. This would be good to use in a class because of the different levels of learning that can be achieved through the use of the games on the websites. I also liked the "brain training" section.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this website. I think it is an awesome one to use in the classroom because it has so many different subjects and types of games for everyone. I usually hate math but i loved playing the math games, they make it fun and enjoyable and actually makes you understand math. I definitely will want to use this in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed preparing my individual response project. It was so much fun! There were some activities from the list of 91 ways that I would use in my classroom. I really liked picking actors/actresses to play characters in the book and I also really like the idea of pretending one of the kids is a character from the book and interviewing them! Seeing the different projects was a lot of fun. It's a really good way for children to experience literature. Kids are hyper and always want to be doing something, so doing a project like one of the ones done is perfect.


    I really liked the website. It's good that it has games for all age levels, not just little kids. Most games online are for elementary kids, so it's nice to finally see a good website that has different games for all age groups. My favorite was the nutrition for kids. Most children aren't taught about nutrition until middle school and high school, but by that time, most bad habits are already formed. I will definitely use this website in my classroom when I'm a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the language arts because it describes the different parts of language such as nouns and verbs visually. This would be great for children that are visual learners and ESL children because it would make it easier for them to learn the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this website. I think websites that have fun and games on them but learning at the same time are amazing. This gives the children a chance to have fun and learn at the same time. It's also wonderful that there are games on this website for children of all ages so the website could be used for many years at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the indvidual response handout. there were several items I came across that were unique and I feel that children at the elementary level would really enjoy doing them

    The website also was great. I really liked nutrition section and the science games. These items, as well as the other games the site offers would be very beneficial to students of all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed looking through this website! It seems like it has a lot of great ideas to utilize in your classroom. I especially liked the seasonal themes that could be incorportated. I think that making learning fun and interesting is vital and these activities really would help to do that for elementary age students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I personally loved both the website and the individual response projects. I think the website has some great games for language arts! The capitalization game would be great practice and fun too. The individual response projects provide excellent ideas for student group projects and individual ones, especially since they encourage creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.