A Few Words from Angela
Do we have any aspiring writers of children's literature in the group? Have you dreamed of becoming an illustrator of children's literature? Perhaps you would like a tool that would allow you to have students create digital storybooks? Maybe you would like to create a story for someone special. Whatever your interest may be, it is well worth your time to take a look at the website called StoryBird.
StoryBird is a template based tool for creating stories. You select a theme and then art is available. This allows students to focus on the text portion of the story. Sign-up is required, but it is a free tool. Making, sharing, and reading online are free. Premium services like printing are planned and they would be available for a fee.
Clink on the link below and sign up for free.
http://storybird.com/
Take a few moments to view the tour of Storybird. Explore some of the features available at this site, the link for teachers, and the cost of having a story printed. For those of you with an artistic flair, look at the link for artists. Once you have explored the site, select at least two stories to read.
After reading the stories, please respond to the following prompts:
1. What were your overall thoughts about the site? What did you like/dislike?
2. What were your opinions about the books that you read from the site?
3. Is this a tool that you feel you would like to you in the classroom and/or for personal use? Why?
I hope that enjoy the site as much as I did. I have not yet created a story, since I just learned about the site. However, I am thinking during Thanksgiving break, I will be writing one. Let me know if any of you would be interested in reading it, as well as if you plan to write one yourself on the site. I would love to read it.
Angela
I really liked this website. It's really cool! I don't think there is anything about it that I don't like. It's so easy to use and the possibilities are endless. The books I read were super cute. My favorite one was the poetry book about lost foods. So creative! I would definitely use this in my classroom and even for personal uses. I have always wanted to write a children't book. This just might be my chance!
ReplyDeleteI actually thought this site was very cool. I thought the little story; The Three Little Pigs:Continued or The Exciting part or And the Elephant was a cute story.
ReplyDeleteI thought this blog was ironic because I asked a elementary school student just the other day what his favorite website was, and he replied "the one were we can create our own stories." So, I think this website would work great in a classroom.
I really really really liked this website it was fun and easy. There was nothing I didn't like about it, it was great. It made reading alot of fun. I really liked the three little pigs story, and the poetry one. They made the stories fun and interesting. It is a great way to allow lots of different people to get the chance to write stories and be creative. It is definitely something I would love to use in my classroom, and allow my students to have fun with. I would love to use this website in the classroom because it is interactive and makes reading and writing fun for adults and kids.
ReplyDeleteThis would be a great tool to teach students about creative writing. I did not like the stories on the website too much. I would definetly use this tool in a wide range of classes including English and Social Studies.
ReplyDeleteI really think this website is a good one! All of the stories on it seem to be very amusing and interesting. It is a perfect website for children to learn on and read. I liked everything that I saw on the site and nothing that I disliked seemes to come to mind. This is definately a tool that I would use in the classroom to entertain my children and help them learn and if I were a parent with children I would also be very excited to use this website.
ReplyDeleteThis website has to be my favorite one yet! I absolutely loved it. There was nothing about the site I did not like. It is fun and easy to use. My favorite story was the poetry one and the three pigs story. This is a wonderful website to encourage children to be creative and a way to better their writing. I would definitely use this in the classroom. I really think that kids would absolutely love it. I may just decide to write a story on this site when I have some free time!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed visiting this website and I think it could be a great classroom tool. My favorite story was the three little pigs one : ) Kids love to write their own stories, and this website will really allow them to be creative.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the website. I think it would be a great tool for teachers and a great creativity booster for students. It would also be a good way for a student to retell a story -- to evaluate comprehension. The books that I read were all very cute and I think that students would really enjoy this website.
ReplyDeleteThe site was great! I have thought a time or two about writing children's literature as I am very interested in writing and drawing. With that said, I realize that it is very hard to become a published writer so I think it's wonderful that there is a site like this out there that anyone can use! The only complaint I have is with one story I read in which proper English was not used. I feel that it is important to have works proof read so that students do not make these mistakes. Other than that, I feel that this site is a great tool for teachers and writers alike. This is definitely my favorite site we've looked at so far and I can not wait to use it in the future.
ReplyDeleteThis would be an excellent tool to use to teach creative writing and connect the students with the authors of the books that they read in class. It would allow the students to understand the work that goes into a book, all while practicing their creative writing skills. All of the books that I read on this site seemed to be a little bit of a joke, but I could definitely see it being used for instructional purposes.
ReplyDeleteThe artwork is so pretty on some of these! I think this website is a fantastic tool and I would definitely love to use this in my classroom. I think it's a fantastic way for students to express themselves creatively and they can even collaborate with each other, which I think is an excellent idea. I particularly loved this one storybird that I read, "Do You Remember When?", because of the excellent artwork and encouraging message.
ReplyDelete