A Few Words from Angela
Welcome All,
I have created this blog specifically for our Literature for Children class. As part of the requirements for the class, you will be asked to respond to my postings, as well as comment upon the postings of others. I plan to post new topics on a weekly basis and hope you will find this blog useful as we explore topics related to the study of children's literature. I have used a privacy setting for this blog. Only students from the class will be able to post to it. And so we begin...
For the opening post, I would like you to answer the following questions:
What was your favorite book as a child?
What made this book so special or memorable for you?
My favorite book as a child was called Little Bear, written by Else Holmelund Minarik and illustrated by Maurice Sendak, the famous author of Where the Wild Things Are. Perhaps some of you may have read the Little Bear series or watched the TV show based on these books. This book has very special meaning for me because my grandmother taught me to read using this book when I was four years old. I actually still have the original book, even though it's a little torn and tattered. The theme of all these stories focus on family and friendship. They are wonderful tales to share with preschool and early elementary children. If you never read anything from the Little Bear series, take a few minutes to do so. You will not be disappointed.
I look forward to hearing from each of you about your favorite childhood book.
My favorite book as a child was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. My mom read the book to me when I was fairly young, but I fell in love with it even then. I always wanted sister, and didn't have one, so the March girls became my imaginary ones. Also, I knew that the time we spent reading the book was time I would get to spend alone with my mother which made it extremely special.I have probably read the book hundreds of times, but it never gets old to me.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was The Lovables in the Kingdom of Self-Esteem, written by Diane Loomans and illustrated by Kim Howard. When I think about this book I can imagine all the great pictures and animals the book talked about. Before bed as a child I would grad this book off the book shelf and read it which is why this book has remained to memorable to me.
ReplyDeleteWhen I thought about this question, I honestly had no idea what my favorite book was as a child, so I asked my mom. She said that it was More, More, More Said the Baby by Vera B. Williams. I'm not entirely sure why it was my favorite, but one thing I do remember was how the pages felt and hearing my mother's voice as she read it to me. Anytime I think of that book, I will think of my mother.
ReplyDeleteMy favoite book as a child was Goodnight Moon. I remember reading it with my mom, brother and sister every night before bed. The memories of reading the book with all of us together are still around, even though I have no idea where the actual copy of the book is.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was anything from the Nancy Drew series. I loved that Nancy Drew had strawberry blonde hair, just like me. I still remember being grounded from reading for a week and sneaking in a Nancy Drew book into bath time because I had been in the middle of it and getting caught because I had been in there for too long.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was "When I Was Young in the Mountains" by Cynthia Rylant. This book is special to me because I also grew up in the coal fields of southern West Virginia. Everyday I waited for my dad to come home from working in the mines and he was always covered head to toe in coal dust. I loved spending my Sunday afternoons on the front porch snapping beans with my grandmother. I grew up in the mountains and there's no where else I would have rather been.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was anything from the Berenstain Bears series, which was written and illustrated by Stan and Jan Berenstain. This series of books is special to me because it is very family orientated and reminds me of my family. Mama Bear loves to take care of her family and is the homemaker, which is like my mom. Papa Bear is the world's greatest expert on everything, and he also loves to fish, which is just like my dad. Sister Bear reminded me of myself because she is full of energy, her favorite color is pink, and she is girly, but she is also one of the guys. Brother Bear reminded me of my oldest brother because he loved sports, dinosaurs, and model airplanes. Another reason these books are special to me is because my brother and I were really close when we were younger, and I remember always thinking of him as Brother Bear and me as Sister Bear when I was reading the books. Sometimes we would even act out scenes! I also really liked that the series had them made into movies.
ReplyDeleteIt took me a long time to think of my favorite book as a child. But as I spent more time thinking about it the more and more the author Eric Carle came to mind. My favorite book by him was "The Very Hungary Caterpillar". I just loved this book as a child, my dad read it to me at a very young age and I loved it from the beginning. Another part of the book that made it so wonderful was the illustrations, they were beautiful and really added to the story. "The Very Hungary Caterpillar" not only was a fun book because my dad would read it to me, but it taught me the days of the week, and things about butterflies at a very young age.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't remember my favorite book as a child, so I called my mom and asked her. She said it was Where the wild things are, by Maurice Sendak. I have two older brothers but they graduated high school a couple years after I was born so I was the only child growing up in our house. She said that since I played alone most of the time I had a wild imagination like Max. I can remember my mom reading me that book a lot and just wanting to run around like the wild things, and always being able to entertain myself perfectly fine alone. I loved playing outside as well in the dirt and having imaginary friends and I always wanted my mom to make me soup, because that was the last thing Max ate at the end of the book.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon. I loved this book because I felt like I could relate to it all the time. In the book the main character hated Lima Beans, and so did I. I absolutely hated them. She was also very worried about what other children thought of her, which I also knew alot about.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was Where the Wild Things are by Maurice Sendak. I enjoyed this book so much when I was younger because it was different than all of the other books I've read as a child. I could relate to Max because when I was younger, I'd sometimes get in trouble with my parents and I would just want to run away and explore something new. Even though I wanted to get out, I would eventually realize that home is the best place to be, like Max.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book as a child was anything by Shell Silverstein. I particularly enjoyed the book Where the Sidewalk Ends. I found his poems and the style in which he organized the poetry to be intriguing as a young child. My mother would read the book to me and my brother before bed. I took interest in this type of literature as a child primarily because of the humor and rhyming. I found Shell Silverstein's literature much more interesting than the books I read at school.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book when I was a child was Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren. This book was memorable for me because it was the first book I could actually relate to. I remember reading it in the 3rd grade right around the same time I developed my first crush. I used some of the things Junie did to impress her on the boy I had a crush on, needless to say it didn't work. Although I was upset it didn't work, I felt as though I had Junie to share my heartache with.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book when I was a child was Were the Wild things are because it was different from most others. What really attracted was the art because unlike other children art it has a bit of a "dark" side but not to dark. Until this day those monsters still make me wonder. I love the fact that the little boy was not afraid of them. I am also facinated by the time-space dimension in his imagination. He traveled for a little bit more than a year but when he comes back his meal is still warm.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a child, my favorite book was called "I Was So Mad" by Mercer Mayer. My mom would read this book to me every night before bed. It is the only book that I loved as a child and still love today. There were a few other books by Mercer Mayer that I loved because I loved the entire critter series but I Was So Mad will always be my favorite. I loved the pictures in the book and I also felt like the book related to me in certain ways. The book was about a kid that wasn't allowed to do much and he always ended up saying "I was so mad" so I related that to myself when I was younger and my mom told me no.
ReplyDelete